Last updated 1 December 2022


Acute and chronic health  

Your GP can help you get public health care support for chronic health conditions like cancer, diabetes, asthma, heart and lung conditions and more

We are unfortunately unable to support people who only have chronic health conditions.


Mental health and addictions 

Most people will be referred to mental health services through their GP or family doctor. Mental health services in the community are funded through District Health Boards (DHBs).

There are many suicide prevention services in our communities including Māori and Pacific community suicide prevention programmes like Waka Hourua and Kia Piki te Ora

We are unfortunately unable to support people who only have mental health issues. 


Dental care

If you're on a low income or benefit, immediate and essential dental treatment may be available to you. 

Immediate and essential dental treatment includes treatment such as fillings and extractions, but not periodic cleaning or check-ups. See more examples in the 'What you can get' section.

You can apply for up to $1,000 a year (any 52-week period), to help with immediate and essential dental treatment. You don't have to pay this back. Visit the Work and Income website for more info.


Community services card 

The Community Services Card can help you and your family with the costs of health care. Always carry your card to make it easy to get the benefits, like paying less on some health services and prescriptions. 

If you're eligible to apply for a Community Services Card, your cost of visits to doctors and prescription fees can be reduced.  




Health care.png