Who we support

We support people who:

  • are below the age of 65 years
  • live with a disability that does not improve even after treatment, surgery, rehabilitation or with the help of any equipment
  • need lifelong support
  • have a physical, intellectual, sensory disability, or on the Autism Spectrum 
  • have one or a combination of these disabilities. 

For more information about who can get Whaikaha Ministry of Disabled People funded disability supports, visit their website.

For a little bit more in-depth information on the types of disabilities we support, go to this page. 

Still not sure if you qualify? Complete our application form and we'll find out for you.

You can also call our Pathways team on 0800 824 5872 (TAIKURA) if you need help with your application. 


Other options 

If we are unable to support your disability, here's what you can do: 

  • Personal health conditions or long-term chronic illness. Some health issues like diabetes, asthma or heart illness may affect a person's physical or sensory condition. However, support for these are provided by DHBs or private insurance. 
  • Mental health and addictions. For conditions like depression, bi-polar disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), anxiety, schizophrenia and others, supports and services are provided by DHBs.  
  • Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder (FASD). Your GP can refer you to relevant services and even support groups in your area. 
  • Accident or injury. If your disability is caused by injury or accident, ACC can help. 
  • You live outside Auckland. We provide needs assessment and service coordination for people who live in Auckland. Find your nearest Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) service. 

Your doctor or GP can help you access DHB supports and services or make an ACC claim.

Visit our Info Hub page to find out other types of disability support provided by other agencies, like the Ministry of Social Development, Ministry of Education and others.