Disability supports and services

Here are some of the disability supports and services funded by Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People.

Last updated 21 March 2024

Types of disability support

The Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People website provides more information about disability supports and services. We'll work out your unique disability needs and connect you to the right supports so you can make the best out of your life.  

Carer support

Carer Support is subsidy for the main carer of the person with a disability. It is meant to help the carer take a break from their caring role.  

Autism spectrum support

People with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) can access a range of disability support services to enable them to live everyday lives and to connect with the wider community.

Behaviour support services

Some people with intellectual disability or ASD can display challenging behaviour. Providers will work with families and carers to create strategies that can help reduce the impact of a person’s challenging behaviour.

Community day services

Community day services help disabled adults who can’t find work to take part in their community and improve their personal skills by providing access to regular meaningful social contact and stimulating activities.

Community residential support

Community residential support services allow people to live in a home-like setting in their community, while receiving support for up to 24 hours a day.

Resident Family Care (formerly Funded Family Care)

Funded Family Care 2013 ended in September 2020, however family carers can still be paid to care for a disabled family member if the disabled family member moves to Individualised Funding or Home and Community Support Services. We can talk to you if you're eligible for Individualised Funding or Home and Community Support Services. 

Home and community support services

This is support to complete everyday activities like household management (eg meal preparation, house cleaning), and personal cares (eg eating, getting dressed and showering).  

Individualised Funding

Individualised Funding gives people increased choice and control to choose who provides their support, and how and when to use it. We can tell you more about Individualised Funding and find out if you’re eligible for it.

Choices in Community Living

Choices in Community Living is for people with high and complex disabilities who want to transition from residential services or their family home to a more independent setting. We can tell you more about Choices in Community Living and find out if you’re eligible for it.

Respite and carer support

Respite or ‘taking a break’ is essential in the overall support of the whanau. If you're the full-time, unpaid carer for a disabled person, then respite services and carer support are available for you.

Supported living

This service helps disabled people to live independently by providing support in areas like using community facilities, shopping, budgeting or cooking, or help when dealing with agencies such as WINZ or their bank. Supported Living cannot be used to support a person with personal cares, household management, rehabilitation or vocational services.