Who is eligible
You may be able to receive a needs assessment from us if:
- you are below the age of 65 years
- you live in the greater Auckland region, from Wellsford to Mercer
- your disability does not improve even after treatment, surgery, rehabilitation or with the help of any equipment
- you need lifelong support
- you have a physical, intellectual, sensory disability, or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- you have one or a combination of these disabilities.
For more information about disability supports and services, visit the Ministry of Health website.
Still not sure if you qualify? Complete our application form and we'll find out for you.
You can also call our access team on 0800 TAIKURA if you need help with your application.
If you don't meet the criteria, here's what you can do:
- You’re over 65 years old. Older people disability support is provided by district health boards (DHBs).
- Personal health conditions or long-term chronic illness. Some health issues like diabetes, asthma or heart illness may affect a person's physical or sensory condition. However, support for these are provided by DHBs or private insurance.
- Mental health and addictions. For conditions like depression, bi-polar disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), anxiety, schizophrenia and others, supports and services are provided by DHBs.
- Accident or injury. If your disability is caused by injury or accident, ACC can help.
- You live outside Auckland. We provide needs assessment and service coordination for people who live in Auckland. Find your nearest Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) service.
Your doctor or GP can help you access DHB supports and services or make an ACC claim.