Social care

Ministry of Social Development 

If you have to stop working because of your disability, or if you're caring for someone with a disability, the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) may be able to help. 

Some of the support they provide are:

  • disability allowance
  • accommodation supplement
  • child disability allowance

Please note that we are unable to approve any application to receive MSD services, but we can talk to you about the supports they offer for disabled people and their carers. 


Paying for heating

If you're ill or have a disability, you can apply for help with the cost of heating your home. What you can get depends on your circumstances and also your income and assets.


Priority grocery service

Do you need additional help with grocery delivery? The SVA Grocery Delivery Service (in partnership with New World), enables people who can't get to the supermarket to get groceries.

You can order online or via 0800 005 902 using a debit or credit card. A screened and vetted volunteer collects the items from the supermarket and delivers them to the door. SVA then charges the pre-authorised credit card with the exact amount spent at the supermarket following delivery. There is a $6 delivery fee. 

Head to to shop, call them on 0800 005 902 or email to 


Food banks

If you are in need of food assistance search your region to find a foodbank in your area. You may need to bring suitable identification and proof of address.


Meals on wheels

Meals and Wheels is a New Zealand Red Cross services that is mostly paid for by your local District Health Board (DHB). Those who use this service will still pay a minimal amount (like $5) for a meal plus dessert. 

You can receive this service if you get a referral from DHB. Please talk to your GP or specialist and enquire if this is an option for them/they can get a referral.  


Care packages

Complete the form to request for a care package. 


Find a food community organisation

Communities across Aotearoa are working together to support those who don't have access to healthy, nutritious and affordable food. This website provides comprehensive information (interactive map) about community food organisations around the country.


Free counselling

Feeling stressed, worried, scared or depressed? We've put together a list of all the free counselling services you can use when you're dealing with tricky emotions and thoughts. 





Social care final.png